Mornington Penninsula and London Bridge


We started with the colourful bathing boxes at Mornington. These glorified sheds are timber boxes, the size of a single garage shed. Apparently they are not allowed to have any plumbing in them. Thus no toilets or plumbed kitchen. Still if you were going down to the beach for the day, at least you can don't have to cart a shade, chairs, tables etc. Most are privately owned and some can be rented out. A hut sold for just over $600,000 recently, though most are handed down from family to family. Still that makes it one of the priciest pieces of real estate in Victoria.



I prefer a sandy beach myself, not the rocky foreshore that is at Mornington. I have been spoilt with the fabulous sandy beaches of home back in Wollongong.

Beach at Mornington

On a separate day whilst heading for our ferry across to Queenscliffe, we thought we'd drive around Morning Peninsula a bit.
Sorrento is a rather a upper class touristy beachside area. We could see a sign directing us to London Bridge but in the end the sign to the actual location is not easy to spot. However we found it and hopped out to have a look. The area is the most northern beach in the Mornington Peninsula National Park.

London Bridge at low tide

We found the bridge at the end of a relatively short bitumen footpath. It provides stunning views of this famous landform and the surrounding beach which is composed of sandstone and has been formed through weathering action of thousands of years of wind, rain and waves.

Apparently you can access the beach too but it is a very steep set of steps which we didn't even try to attempt.

It was weird to turn around and see a swathe of artificial turf in what should be a National Park. Apparently there is a golf course for the rich here and I gather that they could get natural grass to grow on the very sandy soil. It seems wrong to me!

I love the recycled wood table and bench seats

Oh well, there didn't seem to be much to see by car in this area so we went into Sorrento and had a fabulous fish and chip lunch. We had to wait a long time for the food but it was worth it. I love the table and seats were from recycled timbers.

The lovely SeaRoad Ferry

Finally we hop onto the Searoad Ferry. The ferry leaves Sorrento every hour on the hour and the trip is relatively short.

Looking back to Sorrento
Sadly I didn't find the crossing nor the views anything spectacular. Maybe I am too blase from going on the Manly Ferry too often which I never tire of!

Michelle relaxing with a paper

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! I love reading blogs from other parts of the world. :) A $600,000 hut?? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon $600,000 is ridiculous too! Especially considering you can't have toilets or any plumbing in it, thus ensuring you can't live in it! Thanks for visiting Jenn!

      Delete
  3. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle