Strahan

Our next stop is to be at Strahan, (pronounced "straw-n"), which is significantly the port town that services Queenstown on the Macquarie Harbour, into which the Gordon River flows. It also strategically close to the north western edge of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. Its economy is now largely dependent upon tourism mostly connected to the Wilderness Area.


Once again we are faced with lots of corners as we drive down to Strahan. We camped at the Strahan Golf Club for just $10 per night. We are supposed to be self contained but there is a single toilet at the club and we are encouraged to join them for happy hour occasionally during our stay.

The lovely open village centre of Strahan


I also noticed that there are FREE showers in the council car park in town, if you want to partake of this. Rob managed to get a hot shower. Mine was luke warm which ran cold within minutes, still one can't complain.

Silly me forgot to take a photo - here is one from Downunda's


We were blessed with sunny weather for most of the 5 day stay too which is absolutely terrific anytime but certainly for the two trips we took here: the West Coast Wilderness Railway and the  World Heritage Cruise up the Gordon River here which also covered lunch and a couple of walks including the Sara Island Penal colony.

Abt Rack & Pinion Railway


Unfortunately we just didn't have the energy to get out and about after our cruise and train trips we were zonked. We took a day in between to recover.

Gordon River Cruise ship



Happy travels until the next time

Michelle & Rob

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying following your trip. Sounds as though you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle