Hungarian Goulash

I just love soups and casseroles cooked in my Dream Pot.

Here is the Hungarian Goulash recipe as handed down from my French grandfather. Pop introduced me to a lot of his European foods. I am sure we all have foods that invoke certain memories. This is one where I can remember my grandparents working together in the kitchen making this dish. I guess my Nana did most of the cooking, I just remember them both being there and the yummy meal afterwards.
 

Hungarian Goulash


2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon margarine
1 kg steak cubed
½ plain flour
2 large onions
1 tablespoon paprika
2 carrots cut chunky
2 potatoes peeled and cut chunky
1 beef cube
2 tin tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper
½ cup sour cream

 

Method

Heat oil and margarine in a frying pan.
Toss beef in seasoned flour then
Add meat to the frying pan & brown well.
Stir in onions and brown lightly.
Place all ingredients into smaller pot.
Add paprika with the water, stock cube and remaining ingredients except the sour cream. Ensure there is just enough water to go about ¾ the way up the side of the meat.
Bring to boil stirring frequently to ensure it doesn't burn on the bottom and then lower heat to simmer gently for 15 minutes with the lid on again stirring frequently.
Boil up enough water to fill the large pot at least ¾ the way.
Transfer pot into insulating chamber for minimum 3 hours, preferably 6-8 hours.

If you want, you can cook the rice or fettuccine in the large pot.
Depending upon whether you want rice or fettuccine with your meal, you will need different times.



For the rice: For the absorption method: About an 1 hour before serving you start by re-boiling 3 cups of the water and then adding 2 cups of rice and reboil hard for 1 minute before returning to chamber with the goulash placed back on top.
For the fettuccine: You can cook this for 15 minutes in the Dream Pot, but I just go ahead and cook this on the stove top to keep a good eye on the noodles just 15 minutes before  serving.

Season the meat as desired.

Stir the sour cream into the meat just before serving.
Serve with drained fettuccine or rice.

Note: 

Did you know Paprika can go bitter if heated without water.

What meals invoke fond memories for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for popping by, I appreciate your comments!
Michelle